Wednesday, November 10, 2010

"I got soul, but I'm not a soldier"

I may have mentioned it before but I am deeply lacking in the patriotic conviction department.

Patriotism is just one thing I seem to be lacking, like a genetic defect or something. I just can't find it anywhere within myself. Were I an ancient Greek hero, it would be my fatal flaw.






Today being Veteran's Day/ Armistice Day everyone is home for the holiday, and my Katydid has spent the past week being indoctrinated at school on the glories of venerating Veterans Day, and is expecting me to do something about it . The idea of going to some formal memorial service with flags waving and old men in fezs makes me cringe, but for the sake of all those who died, I'd feel like a heel if we didn't do something. So, since I am not completely a cold-hearted individual, I think we are going to read through an interview with Grandpa Great before he died when he told stories of his days as a B25 fighter pilot in WWII, and all the many amazing things that he had done in his life. I may not be very patriotic, but he was a great man. After his first treacherous flight across the Pacific and surviving his first fire fight, he realized that every day thereafter was just a bonus, and in all the time I knew him he made the most of what time and resources he had. I may not be patriotic, but that's a pretty good life lesson to pass on.


SONGS OF THE DAY:
(for a little introspection)

AND "Soldier Blue" - The Cult
(just so things don't get to mushy)

No comments:

Post a Comment