Thursday, February 3, 2011

thoughtless thursday-list: a series part 5 - The White Stripes Edition


I was just lying down to sleep last night when a facebook message popped up. I slid over to look at it and then scrolled down and found the most depressing thing. NPR shared a link that The White Stripes have quit. No more music, no more concerts. The End. FIN.

I am all about artistic preservation. Some people just don't know when to quit and their continued production spoils their earlier greatness (U2 is such a glaring example of this). So I completely respect their intentions, I am just personally extremely disappointed I've never seen them live. When I told Mr. IMo? over the phone I could almost hear the tears welling up in his eyes.

There was an interesting part of the note on their website. It was even in quotes:
“The White Stripes do not belong to Meg and Jack anymore. The White Stripes belong to you now and you can do with it whatever you want. The beauty of art and music is that it can last forever if people want it to. Thank you for sharing this experience. Your involvement will never be lost on us and we are truly grateful.”
Did they just essentially copyright release everything? As sad as this is, I am so interested to see what happens next. Happy trails Jack and Meg.

So. Instead of the 7 piece shuffle I had written up yesterday we will have a special White Stripe Edition, with 7 randomly selected White Stripes tunes, because I don't think I could narrow down the list to only my top 7 favorites.

Long Live The White Stripes!

1. Fell in Love with a Girl

2. My Doorbell

3. The Hardest Button to Button

4. Conquest

5. Jolene

6. Ball and Biscuit

7. Broken Bricks

No comments:

Post a Comment