Thursday, September 9, 2010

"all the boys think she's a spy"

So, I have a huge crush on a stunning bad boy who has been dead for 50 years. Errol Flyn is one of the best actors of all time in my estimation. He was an athletic, swashbuckling stud with a distinctive laugh and charming dimples. My favorite films are his first, Captain Blood, The Adventures of Robin Hood and Adventures of Don Juan.

I just watched him in The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, where he is again with his oft-times co-star Olivia de Havilland (such a beauty) but primarily with Bette Davis as his older
love/ tormentor, Queen Elizabeth. Not only was it a fantastic show, I finally was able to ascertain why in the world England has always made such a fuss over Ireland, something that not a single history professor has ever made so perfectly clear (I am going to leave you in suspense and let you watch the movie on your own).

So as a tribute to Errol by way of the equally amazing Bette, here is today's song, with covers.


SONG OF THE DAY: "Bette Davis Eyes" - Kim Carnes


OTHER NOTABLE COVERS:

"Bette Davis Eyes" - Gwyneth Paltrow (it is not nearly as horrible as you may be expecting)

And of course while I am tracking these video clips down I stumble upon some funny things. For those who love The Mighty Boosh as much as me, THIS is a little video of the adorable Noel Fielding as the "heroine" Bette.
We will have to go over The Mighty Boosh and a few of their songs some other day, but here is a quote to ponder...

"Goth Juice... the most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith." - Vince Noir


No comments:

Post a Comment