Monday, March 7, 2011

happy cashmere sweater day!


Actually it is Casimir Pulaski Day here in Illinois. He was a Polish war hero in the US during the Revolutionary War and because of the large Polish populations in Chicago, etc it is a full on holiday here to celebrate his, and Poland's, contribution to making the US a free nation and our countries' long-standing good relations for the past 200+ years.

No school for the kids, so we are having a bit of fun and learning. Because I am he meanest mom, I have given Katydid a 15 question homework assignment to learn a bit about Poland. I lived there for almost a year and a half back in the mid 90s, mostly in Warsaw(Warszawa) but also in Silesia (Śląsk) and Łódź . Because of the work I was doing there I didn't get to spend time going to concerts or clubs, but I made lots of friends, some of whom shared their music with me.

There was one particular guy I met who was about 17 and really into the Warsaw punk scene. He hooked me up with all sorts of information and gave me a few tapes. Today's song come from one of the bands he told me about, Post Regiment. I also liked their military name for celebrating a military hero.

Post Regiment is a pretty amazing punk band. They have two vocalists, Darek and Dominika, and the change between male and female voice depending on the song gives the band a changing perspective depending on who sings, kind of like with The Pixies.

Happy Casimir Pulaski Day. Miłego Pulaskiego dnia.

SONG OF THE DAY: "Skóra (leather)" - Post Regiment

I'm not a Sufjan fan, but he does a special song for today and I would feel remiss if I totally ignored it.

"Casimir Pulaski Day" - Sufjan Stevens




No comments:

Post a Comment