Tuesday, March 1, 2011

tapes for tuesday: a series part 9


Pretty in Pink - Soundtrack

Katydid is sick today and Yaz is hyper and driving her nuts so I am just going to do a cut and paste job today since I wrote about Pretty in Pink last September during the Month of the Cover Song. Enjoy!

One of my favorite movies, especially in jr. high & high school, was Pretty in Pink. I wanted to grow up and be Iona. I named my blog in part after her record store, TRAX. I also loved the soundtrack. There is some really fabulous stuff on there, and for a wanna-be New Waver it was really key in finding new bands, as no one was playing that stuff on the radio where I lived. I had to sneak out and sit in my parents' car and tune in to a static filled station coming out of San Francisco to get to hear something new. Having so many songs in one place was revolutionary for me at the time.

INXS, Psychedelic Furs, New Order, Echo and the Bunnymen, and The Smiths fill up half of the 10 track compilation. Those bands are the foundation of my musical knowledge and I can trace it all back to this soundtrack.

Today's song is the title track. I am sad I was so busy this summer working out in Boise because I wasn't able to go see Psychedelic Furs play at the Egyptian. Another one I add to my list of bands I missed.

SONG OF THE DAY:
"Pretty In Pink" - Psychedelic Furs (soundtrack version)

This video is the less peppy version from their album TALK TALK TALK.

No comments:

Post a Comment