Friday, July 16, 2010

back when you were cool



Most music you like is based on what you listen to when you were a teenager. It's practically unchangeable. You may add new things to what you like, but those teenage songs last forever. Ask your grandma what she likes, it will be the songs that reminder her of being young, having fun, being cool and maybe even hot (even if she doesn't say it). Of course those are the best memories to have musically or otherwise.


Which brings me to Built to Spill. For years I would go see them play, about once a month, when I was in High School, when I was at the University, after University bringing Katydid along to the neighborhood street fair. Even as I have moved around they have followed playing shows around the country. They even showed up playing on a mix CD in a friend of a friend's car in Germany.


Tomorrow I am headed out to see Modest Mouse, which in my opinion owe their entire musical sound to Built to Spill and pretty much any other band Doug Martsch has ever played in. Mr. IMo? loves them both the same.


I have a few old posters stashed away that I found in a box about 5 years ago, reminiscences of my teenage years going to shows 2-3 times a week. They were almost all local bands, this one happens to have a letter to me from some guy I never met on the back, you know from when I was young and having fun and much cooler than I am now.

*j

Today's songs of the day brought to you...
by the letter B: "Car"- Built to Spill
and the number 25: "In the year 2525" - Zager & Evans

UPDATE: My D.C. friend came through and was able to get me the name of the mystery artist of "In the Year 2525" I have been listening to for the past 5 year. If you want to hear an updated club version of the song check out "In the Year 2525" by Venice Beat featuring Tess Timony. Thanks A!

No comments:

Post a Comment