Thursday, July 22, 2010

i thought i was being random

I completely thought I was being random when I chose electronic dance artist Goldfrapp and glam grunge Placebo for today's songs, until I was doing a little bit of reading and found out that they both had the same producer, Dimitri Tikovoi. Who knew?


Placebo is one of those under the radar bands, that seemed to be loved by musicians, opened for everyone and never really got big in the US. Lead singer Brian Molko looks like the perfect androgynous mix of Brett Anderson (Suede) merged with his equally glam androgynous one-time girlfriend Justine Frischmann (Suede,Elastica); so in other words, lovely.


While yesterday I warned you to steer clear of a cover song, I want to recommend one today by Placebo. "I feel you", a cover of Depeche Mode, has a great vocal interpretation, without musically or stylistically veering too far from the original. They have a full album of covers, ingeniusly called "Covers" where they remake not only Depeche Mode, but also the Pixies, the Smiths, T. Rex, and Kate Bush.


*j


Today's songs of the day are brought to you....
by the letter "G": "Ride a white horse" - Goldfrapp
and the number "20": "twenty years" - Placebo

No comments:

Post a Comment