Thursday, August 5, 2010

my nation underground



For those of you who love the original Emo boys like Peter Murphy, Adam Ant, William and Jim Reid (aka Jesus and Mary Chain), and of course Echo and the Bunnymen,you may be aware of Julian Cope. In part because Julian Cope played with Ian McCulloch before Echo and the Bunnymen, way before my musical awareness began. Echo and the Bunnymen were one of my favorites back in 8th grade when I was a blossoming New Wave girl, but I didn't discover Julian's solo career until about 2 years later when a friend made me a mix tape, and included "China Doll". I ran out and bought the tape and fell in love with the title track, "My Nation Underground".

The original tape went missing over the years, and I could never find it again on CD, but over the summer I was able to find it on vinyl for $3. I was so giddy to see that pale face again. Granted, it wasn't his best album, Peggy Suicide was better, but it still has a few gems, like his version of The Vogues' "Five O'clock World". Death Cab for Cutie does a cover of "World Shut your Mouth". As fair warning, he has a hypnotic voice, but his videos lean toward criminally bad, so close your eyes and just listen.

As far as our second band, The Vines, I don't know much about them, except that they are from Australia, that I love their sound, and tend to replay their songs on my MP3 player when they come up.

I will be out for the next two days, going to Lollapalooza, then sleeping it off, but I am going to try to stock pile the next few days and post them remotely.

*j

Today's songs of the day are brought to you...
by the letter V: " Get Free" - The Vines
and the number 5: "Five o'clock World" - Julian Cope


No comments:

Post a Comment