Monday, August 9, 2010

namesake


My littlest rocker, Yaz, gets his nickname from a great New Wave band, Yaz (or Yazoo outside the US). Fans of Depeche Mode may know that Vince Clarke was involved in their early years, and wrote the fabulous track "Just Can't get Enough". He then moved on to form Yaz, putting out just two albums, then moved on to his real claim to fame with Andy Bell as Erasure. My little Yaz is a big New Wave fan like his mommy, and Vince Clarke is a huge part of that.




Todays' other song comes from another act I saw at last year's Lollapalooza, The Glitch Mob. Their performance was the first time I had heard of them, and their infectious sound kept me trapped longer than I had expected. I caught one of the CDs they threw out and liked it a lot when I got home. They do a lot of covers and collaborations so I find they appeal to a larger audience.

*j


Today's songs of the day are brought to you...
by the letter Y: "situation" - Yaz
and the number 2: "between two points" - the Glitch Mob feat. Swan

No comments:

Post a Comment