Tuesday, August 10, 2010

ending the countdown

It has come down to the end. School is starting in 1 day for the kids, Lollapalooza is over, my International Man of Mystery (Mr. IMo?) is on his trip to Tegucigalpa this week, and on a more practical note my air conditioning finally got fixed.

I couldn't have planned it better if I tried, but today's song of the day for the letter Z is perfect. I know the 60's are huge for music, but I think The Zombies are one of the better groups who don't get enough attention. "Time of the Season" was their biggest release in 1969, but they have a lot of great pieces. "Summertime" is the perfect song to round out the end of summer vacation. I have always loved that it is slow and lazy and mulling over the past, which is so opposite most of the over-exuberant summer songs that make you feel like somehow you are missing out on something. A great way to finish out the alphabet.

And to finish our numeric countdown at number one is Matisyahu. I got to see him perform last November and I am so glad I did. He is one of those guys who really knows who he is and has his act together. If my Katydid ever decides to marry a rock star I hope she finds one like Matisyahu. And I hope all my Boise friends are going to see him tomorrow night at the Knitting Factory. I just think he is a genius. He's one of those people I just lose words for when I try to describe how great he is, I just love him.

*j

Today's songs of the day are brought to you...
by the letter Z: "Summertime" - the Zombies
and the number 1: "one day" - Matisyahu

No comments:

Post a Comment