Tuesday, January 4, 2011

tapes for tuesday: a series part 1



In order to form a more perfect music blog, there needs to be a bit more order on my end. Therefore, in 2011 I am hereby instituting 2 new themes which will be adhered to most of the time, but the right shall be retained to throw order in the universe's face and return to managed chaos whenever I feel like it. Sundays will remain reserved for expanding our musical horizons.


I present to you "Tapes for Tuesday" (which will inevitably switch to vinyl as have upgraded most of the spastic tape collection to vinyl, which is longer lasting and oddly less obsolete going into the future). Taking a cue from a friend who does "Wordless Wednesday" posting only a photo, I am in turn translating the concept into "Thoughtless Thursday" when I abstain from the babbling and drivel of the day to day monologue, shut up and put out a playlist.
So, that concludes the business for the year. Meeting adjourned.
.........................................................................................................................................................................
Welcome to the top shelf of my closet. The mysterious and slightly haunting space where I store a box of various old tapes, most of which are copies of copies, because let's face it, I was a poor kid who spent her money on shows rather than the merchandise.
Today's tape, chosen at random from the box is:
Piece of Cake - by Mudhoney



As I mentioned before I totally dig SUBPOP, and Mudhoney is a huge player in that equation. The album came out in 1992, while I was in high school, before Nirvana ever sold out and we were all just a bunch of kids who didn't fit in and not yet corporately labeled "grunge".


SUBPOP is home to PNW legends like Mudhoney, Nirvana, Thee Headcoatees, Fastbacks, L7, Velocity Girl, Tad, The Shins, Sleater-Kinney, The Vaselines, etc. Anyhow, tons of great stuff, and always adding greenies like Blitzen Trapper, CSS, Sunny Day Real Estate, and The Postal Service.
If you aren't acquainted with SUBPOP click your tush on over and bask in some musical brilliance.
SONG OF THE DAY:

(this video reminds me of years of going to shows when there were like 10 people in the audience, and just that one guy no one knows is out giving it all he's got. actually, it's strikingly similar to how i spent new years eve just a few days ago.)


No comments:

Post a Comment