Wednesday, January 26, 2011

mary mary quite extraordinary


Last night I was was minding my own business, washing dishes with my headphones on listening to Pandora when I heard the most amazingly new but familiar sound. I literally gasped and held my breath for what seemed like forever as I waited to hear the voice that accompanied the music. Ian McCulloch? Robert Smith? Bernard Sumner? Had an old favorite come out with something lovely and new? Nope. Lost Joy Division track? Wishful thinking.

Instead I have found myself a new favorite. And of course they are Swedish. Many of my current top bands are.

Now, I can rationally understand in theory how someone may not like a modern band that sounds like Echo and the Bunnymen, The Cure, New Order and The Stone Roses all at once, to say they are only an imitation of the latter, but it's more like making a new friend that reminds you exactly of your best friend growing up. How could you possibly NOT want to hang out?

The Mary Onettes won me over before I heard a single word. Love at first listen. It was today's song, "Lost" that I heard. Gorgeous. And now I am scrambling to to listen to everything they have. "God Knows I had Plans" remind me of The Church, "Puzzles" sounds like The Cure and Adam Ant. For this morning that's as far as I have gotten, but be sure that these guys are going to be a new permanent fixture here and in my music collection. I am just so sad that they have been around since 2005 and this is the first I am hearing them.

----
PS. Cold War Kids' new Album was released yesterday. I pre-ordered the signed vinyl with accompanying digital download and am now anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Luckily I have The Mary Onettes to research or I' have to sneak a peek on Napster.


SONG OF THE DAY:

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you found this band, cuz now I get to listen to them. They are wonderful, and I totally agree with the comparison to finding someone just like an old friend. I can't wait to listen to more and buy the albums for sure. Its kind of like 80's revival for me, since I have been listening to the new White Lies all week. what a great find! Sometimes I get so frustrated because I know there are bands I would love if i just knew who they were, but thats why friends with music blogs are the best.

    ReplyDelete